Home School Link Worker
Our Home School Link Workers (HSLW) are Shan Hallam and Jeanette Ireland.
HSLWs are part of the school’s pastoral team and are able to provide a home/school link service that supports children and their families. Sometimes children have to deal with issues that may affect their ability to cope at school. This can affect attendance as well as progress, achievement and friendship groups.
What Does a HSLW do ?
The HSLW works in partnership with parents / carers to support children who:
- Have difficulties coming to school;
- Have challenging behaviour;
- Feel vulnerable;
- Are transitioning between schools/key stages.
The HSLW Supports Pupils and Families
The HSLW supports pupils and families who are:
- Going through separation or divorce;
- Experiencing relationship difficulties;
- Having attendance difficulties;
- Experiencing bereavement;
- In a crisis situation.
The HSLW Offers Support by
The HSLW also offers support by:
- Providing a relaxed and friendly environment to listen to concerns in confidence;
- Providing one to one support and advice;
- Suggesting ways to help your child at home including offering parenting courses;
- Offering information on support groups, agencies and other services;
- Having a flexible and open-minded approach;
- Promoting social development;
- Communicating your views and feelings to the school;
- Being available, during term-time, to work together with parents / carers, schools and any other agencies to support families, aiming to reduce current issues and prevent future difficulties.
Who Can the HSLW Help?
The HSLW can help:
- Children who are withdrawn, anxious or displaying challenging behaviours;
- Parents / carers whose children are not attending school or who struggle to get in on time;
- Parents / carers and children who are reacting to change, such as parental separation or bereavement;
- Parents / carers who may need support on a wide range of issues impacting on their family life e.g. illness, housing problems, benefits;
- Looked After Children (LAC).
Information discussed during our meetings is confidential. However, when necessary, we would seek your permission to share the information with staff at the school or with other agencies on a need to know basis. Should a Child Protection issue be identified, we are legally bound to follow Government Guidelines regarding Safeguarding.
How Do I Contact the Home School Link Worker?
Parents / carers, schools and children can ask us to become involved. This can be done by completing the “Pastoral Support Parent Referral Form” which can be found at the bottom of this page. Should you need a paper copy we will be able to get one out to you. Please return the referral form to the School Office for the attention of Mrs Earl-Smith (SENDCo) alternatively email to: email@example.com
With your consent we will explore the difficulties your child is experiencing and try to identify the best way forward.
If you are unsure if a referral is necessary but wish to chat through an issue with one of our HSLW please contact them via the school office 01483 232126 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org